Do you have a side hustle or a goal you want to accomplish? This guide can help. For a while I was working full-time in the maritime industry and going to school in the evenings and also doing an internship on the side. My side hustle was my education and developing a new craft. I attended a lot of networking events, women empowerment events, and panels. Below are some of the things I did to help meet new people, be outside my comfort zone to grow and learned to better accomplish my goals.
- Time Management – The Four P’s
- Set priorities so that you have an idea of what needs to get done first. There will be a day where you will be swamped with multiple tasks and let’s face it, we are not super heroes. Yes, we can do it all but there will be a time where we need to accept that we can’t and in those cases we can make sure priorities are set in place. Ways to do so are by completing the hardest tasks first or the most urgent matters first. It’s up to you. Think of what will make your life easier the following-day, deadlines, or any urgent items. Watching a show after work is not a priority but preparing your lunch for the next day is.
- I enjoy making lists and keeping track of what’s been done or needs to be done. Planners have always been of great help for me and match my type A personality. You can have an agenda, simple calendar updated on your phone or as simple as a note pad with a to-do list. As long as you plan, planning is key!
- Patience is easier said than done but it must be done. Not being in the present and continuing to wanting to be in the future can lead to feeling inadequate and anxious. Ways to help you be patient is to simply sit still and think of all the things you are thankful for. Appreciate where you are in life today. Remember, at one moment in time you wished you were, where you are now. Woah, mind blown right? Think about that.
- Don’t give up. The journey doesn’t stop when you reach success. A lot of us have the misconception that when we reach a certain goal then that is when we will reach happiness and we are done. Nope, that is not the case. As humans being we are meant to continue to evolve, grow, and be better and better as time passes. The journey continues and as a reminder – when you are facing hard times – is to think about why you started in the first place. Imagine the feeling you will have once the hardship is over and reach that goal. Make peace that life is not a straight road map but a map with angles pointed all over the place. Keep going!
2. Networking – The C.A.C. Method
This is a method I’ve used and worked to help meet people in professional industries. This is not a quick trick to make instant connections for your own benefit. It helped with three main things. One, it pushed me out of my comfort zone to speak to complete strangers. Two, it taught me to make conversations. Three, I learned to make connections with people I can seek out for advice or expertise. Remember to always be genuine.
- Walk up to the person you wish to network with and start off with a compliment to kick start the conversation. For example, “I enjoyed the way you shared your story as an upcoming entrepreneur. Your mothers story resonated with me. Thank you for sharing.” Think of it as warming-up the conversation with a verbal hug.
- After you give the compliment, begin to make a connection with them with questions. Questions will be up to you. Do you want advice, clarification on anything they spoke about, or recommendations?
- Ask for their business card and if they don’t have one then ask if they have an email or website where you can reach out. Asking for their contact information is key to networking because after you have a conversation with them, you can reach out and thank them for taking the time to speak with you. It will be up to you to remain in touch with them for any future projects or questions you have. I believe that most people are willing to help you – people love to help! Many of the successful people you look up to were In the same place you are now and would love to help because they know how it feels. they know what it’s like to want to know what you want to know now.
3. Stay Focused
- Stay focused on the goal(s). There will be time where you will doubt all of your hard-work, knowledge and potential. There will be times where you don’t know what to do or feel lost. It will happen and guess what? It’s fine. Your job is to not let the doubt or insecurities bring you down or make you stop pursuing your dreams. They are just thoughts.
4. Believe in Yourself
- Take two-five minutes each day and believe in yourself. Speak aloud affirmations that will help you feel uplifted. If that doesn’t help maybe you can sing or dance! Do something that uplifts your spirit. Below are my favorite affirmations. Believe in you and in your magic. You are a human being that is capable of reaching your goals and to help other beings along the way.
I AM CAPABLE
I AM DIVINELY GUIDED
I AM NATURALLY CREATIVE
I SET AMBITIOUS OBTAINABLE GOALS
I HAVE THE POWER TO CREATE ALL OF THE PROSPERITY AND SUCCESS I DESIRE
I hope this guides serves you in a positive way to advance in all areas of your side hustle. Keep going, you got this! If you found this useful, please follow me on Instagram @alejandra.salgado.rtv
Disclaimer: Any advice, tips, recommendations I offer on this blog is based on my own experience and what has helped me along my journey. My blog is solely my opinion and does not reflect the opinion of any organizations I am affiliated with. The information I provide is based on my own reading, experiences or feelings. I reserve the right to change how I manage or run my blog and I may change the focus or content on my blog at any time. I am not a professional on the topics I blog unless noted. The information I provide should not be taken as professional advice. Thank you.